Pomegranate BBQ Grilled Salmon Salad by Mom De Cuisine
When my husband and I first started dating, he promised to make dinner for me one night. He lit up the grill and threw on some steaks, sausages, and chicken. When everything was done, he presented me a Flintstone’s sized pile of meat and said, “Let’s eat.”
My response? “Where are the carbs? You know, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, something?”
Needless to say, we have both had to make some culinary compromised since then. I have learned to love grilled food and realize that a meal can be complete without a single carbohydrate. He has learned that a big plate of meat does not constitute a meal.
As I lit up the grill, I had planned on serving this salmon over some sort of rice, but with swimsuit season nearing closer I thought a salad would be a better choice. After the BBQ sauce is made, this meal comes together almost as fast as you can get the grill hot. While the salmon was grilling, I lightly dressed the greens with oil and vinegar, tossed on some pomegranate seeds for me and some bleu cheese for him (see, compromise.)
Pomegranate BBQ Sauce Grilled Salmon Salad Recipe
Recipe Type Main Course
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 40 mins
Total time 45 mins
- 1,8z can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons dried dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stalk
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your prefered heat
- 1 lbs salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup bleu cheese
- 1 bunch lettuce, chopped or torn
- olive oil and vinegar to dress the salad or your favorite dressing
- To make the BBQ sauce: combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Boil and reduce down by half about 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To make the salmon: divide the BBQ sauce and place half into a resealable plastic bag. Add the salmon filets and marinate 15 minutes.
- While the salmon is marinating, light the grill. Oil the grates well and add the salmon once the grill is hot. cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until salmon reaches your preferred doneness.
- To assemble the salad: while the Salmon is grilling, toss lettuce with oil and vinegar. Toss in pomegranate seeds and bleu cheese. Top with a piece of the grilled salmon
Make ahead tip: The bbq sauce can be prepaired, brought to room temperature than refrigerated in an air tight container for up to two weeks.
A quick house keeping note: After weeks of thinking about this, I will no longer be having Make Ahead Mondays. I will still be posting on Mondays (or as close to it as life allows) and be making make ahead meals. Being a busy mom, rarely do I make a meal from start to finish and then serve it. Most of my meals contain some make-ahead portion, so I will be noting in the recipes any make ahead tips and storage ideas.
Also, I used left over pomegranate molasses from my recent Halloumi post and the BBQ sauce recipe was adapted from Epicurious.com’s Molasses BBQ Sauce